• Welcome to 4-Stroke.net Honda viertakt bromfiets en motorfiets forum - Honda four-stroke moped and motorcycle forum.

Nieuws:

***** ATTENTION / ATTENTIE *****

THIS FORUM IS CLOSED AND MADE READ ONLY!
THE NEW FORUM CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://4-stroke.net/data-archive/forum-archive-2015-2017
All users have been migrated to the new forum, so go and have a look!
---------------------------
DIT FORUM IS GESLOTEN EN ER KAN ALLEEN GELEZEN WORDEN!
HET NIEUWE FORUM IS NU HIER: https://4-stroke.net/data-archive/forum-archive-2015-2017
Alle leden zijn gemigreerd naar het nieuwe forum, dus ga een kijkje nemen!

Main Menu

re wiring indicators

Gestart door john walters, maandag 17 maart 2014 - 21:59

« vorige - volgende »

john walters

I have purchased an ss50e and the previous owner cut off the indicators leaving short wires. :omg:
I need to re-fit and wire in the indicators, which is the best way to go about it.
Joining the old wires together ...How ??
Fitting whole new indicator wires  ...How??
They are soldered behind the bulb housing.
Can anyone help
Thanks
capevilla

Peter van Geelen.

That is a clever thing what the previous owner did :TT:
Can you post a picture perhaps of the indicator? There are a few types and it's best to start off with as much knowledge as possiburu!
Dit account is verplaatst naar een ander account. Gebruik het nieuwe account om een PM naar mij te sturen. Dank je wel.

john walters

Thanks,
Here's a picture of the indicator.
All four have about the same length of wire left on, after he cut them.
see picture.
Thanks again
john

Peter van Geelen.

I like those winkers! :D

First of all, check the old wires for breaks. It would be a pity if you have lengthened the wire and then discover that the old wire is broken.

The best way in this case is to solder a new wire on the old one.

Required:
* Soldering iron
* Soldering tin
* Heat shrink tube with the correct gauge
* New wire (on a spindle)
* Flux

Howto:
* Strip the end of the wire for about 5 mm (0.2") and do the same with the new length of wire.
* Get a piece of heat shrink tube of about 20 mm (0.7") and slide that over one of the wires.
* Dip both ends in the flux. Not too much, this can ruin your soldering. Just a touch is enough.
* Spread out both ends and intertwine the ends into each other.
* Use a bit of solder to fuse the ends together.
* Slide the tube over the soldered part, heat it and make the tube shrink tight.

Done!

You can also use connectors and tape, but rather do it well than do it half-ways right.
Of course you can also desolder the old wire and replace it with a new one, but that is up to you.

Let me know how it goes!
Dit account is verplaatst naar een ander account. Gebruik het nieuwe account om een PM naar mij te sturen. Dank je wel.

john walters

Thanks for the reply i will keep you posted :)

john walters

Yes it went well Thanks for the tip.
Now i have problems with the flasher relay.
It buzzes when switched on, and the indicators work intermittently.
I think it may need a new relay, the present one is the original (old) one with a earth wire on the outside fixed on the bracket.
Can i replace this, to one without an earth wire like the newer ones.
Cant find the older original ones anywhere??
Its the 6v 23 watt type. Will a ordinary 2 pin relay do the job or do i need one like the original 1970.
Thanks
John

Peter van Geelen.

Hi John!

First of all, can you make a picture of the relay please, so i can compare it with my data/stock?

That the relay buzzes does not mean it is broken, it can mean that there is a setup issue.

According to my Owners Manual, all bulbs ( 34905-053-000 ) should be 6 Volt, 18 Watt bulbs. Can you confirm that these values are present in your setup?

john walters

Hi,
The bulbs are all 6v 21 watts.
Pretty standard really. The relay says up to 23 watts, so these bulbs shouldn't be a problem i think.
See photos of the relay.
Thanks
john

john walters

here's a pic of the Honda moped ss50
see attached
john

john walters

sorry you're right.
It does say 18 watts on the relay, would this make a difference with 21 watt bulbs???
john

Peter van Geelen.

That is a pretty bike you have there! You've managed to confuse me though, because it looks really like a Honda CD50 :durr:
There are Honda SS50's with a fuel tank like this, but then the rubber padding looks different! Did you modify it?

The electrical system of a Honda is rather finicky. Often, for example, when bulbs go defective, the wrong wattage is to blame.
I'm sure 4x 6v18w bulbs are cheaper than a new relay and I recommend that you try that first.

The relay however, is a mechanical device that can get tired. (Retractor spring) So there is a chance that the relay is broken. But still I rather start off with the correct setup first before replacing other parts. I will have a look tonight if i can find my relay back and see if it is the same as yours.

That extra wire is probably a "hack" to overcome a mass (is that the correct term for negative?) problem. Although it does not look pretty, I would not touch that right now.

john walters

Yes its an ss50 its the ss50E.
Exported to britain in late 1960's until 1970, then the ss50 took over until late 70's.
I'll order some bulbs first but this relay hasn't been touched, its all original and as it was.
Its earthed via the fixing bracket which fixes to the frame, not sure where ha ha :)
I'm just wondering as the bike has been powder coated, maybe its a poor earth??
Would i need to earth a new 2 pin flasher unit??
Thanks
john

Peter van Geelen.

Nice to see those differences in the model types!

Speaking of which, I finally unearthed my relays from the pile of parts. (Amazing how much one can accumulate over the years) and this one is a 8 watt relays. I'm almost sure that this is 34905-035-000 (and not the 053 as yours) which has been used here because in this country it apparently was "not done" to have proper light. Until the 90's even, electric horns were forbidden on mopeds and so everybody drove around wit a mandatory bicycle bell...

If your frame has been powder coated, then there must have been earth issues. It is almost a standard issue and easily solvable with an extra earth wire.

Now about that 2-pin flasher unit. I had to look that up, because I have not used them in a long while and my knowledge is a bit shoddy in that regard.
I've been looking in manuals for several models and found a few that indeed have a two pin flasher unit.

For various C50, C70 and C90 models, one wire GREY goes to the indicator switch and BLACK is earth
For the Dutch C50H and CD50H, one wire GREY goes to the indicator and RED is positive

I could not find anything with a two pin flasher for the SS50, but at least it is possible to fit it in with some luck. If you want the wiring schematics of the C/CD50H and the C50,70,90C let me know and I hope the answer was helpful enough ;)

john walters

Yes, thanks for taking the trouble to look all that stuff up for me.
I have posted a wiring schematic i had off the internet somewhere for you, its a bit clearer :)
I'll keep you posted when my new bulbs arrive, if the change of bulbs doesn't work i'll try earthing it to the frame in another psoition.
Thanks again Peter.
John

Peter van Geelen.

You're very welcome, John. Always glad if I can help! :)
Thank you for the better schematic, I will add it this weekend to the library!