• Welcome to 4-Stroke.net Honda viertakt bromfiets en motorfiets forum - Honda four-stroke moped and motorcycle forum.

Nieuws:

***** ATTENTION / ATTENTIE *****

THIS FORUM IS CLOSED AND MADE READ ONLY!
THE NEW FORUM CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://4-stroke.net/data-archive/forum-archive-2015-2017
All users have been migrated to the new forum, so go and have a look!
---------------------------
DIT FORUM IS GESLOTEN EN ER KAN ALLEEN GELEZEN WORDEN!
HET NIEUWE FORUM IS NU HIER: https://4-stroke.net/data-archive/forum-archive-2015-2017
Alle leden zijn gemigreerd naar het nieuwe forum, dus ga een kijkje nemen!

Main Menu

re wiring indicators

Gestart door john walters, maandag 17 maart 2014 - 21:59

« vorige - volgende »

john walters

Well, I've changed all of the bulbs to 18 watt.
And i have also charged the battery overnight but still they dont work properly.
The indicators come on but dont flash?????
Headlights work, rear light and stop light work.
Aaaaaargh !!!!!!!!
John

Peter van Geelen.

Remain calm and embrace the oddities of Honda's electrical system :grin:

The handbook says the following:

"Indicators not working"
* Flat battery - In your case this should not be the issue since you have charged it fully
* Blown fuse - Also not the case since it "works"
* Isolated battery - Check battery connections, clean any corrosion
* Indicator switch faulty - Clean any corrosion, renew switch
* Flasher unit faulty - Replace unit

A series of audible clicks will be heard if the flasher unit is working correctly. If the unit malfunctions, the usual symptom is one initial flash before the unit goes dead. It will be necessary to replace the flasher unit complete if the fault cannot be attributed to either a burnt out indicator bulb (or wrong wattage) or a blown fuse.

So, your battery has enough power and I assume that the contacts are clean. It's not a blown fuse and I assume that the indicator switch is working fine. (Perhaps measure it with a resistance meter) You have the correct bulbs installed and those contacts are also clean. Then it all comes down to the flasher unit, I think.

Do measure the resistance of the indicator switch, just to be safe. Left and right should have the same resistance.
Dit account is verplaatst naar een ander account. Gebruik het nieuwe account om een PM naar mij te sturen. Dank je wel.

john walters

WOW !!!!
I'm not so good at all the electrical stuff, so best start looking for a new relay then :)
Can you recommend anyone, or anywhere, that might have these old relays ??
Thanks again
John

Peter van Geelen.

I will have a look tonight for the exact part number and in the meanwhile I have found a two-pin unit here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDICATOR-RELAY-6-VOLT-2-PIN-FLASHER-UNIT-CAN-HONDA-6V-90ERW-/181320974372

But let me see if i can find an original first when i come home. :)
Dit account is verplaatst naar een ander account. Gebruik het nieuwe account om een PM naar mij te sturen. Dank je wel.

Peter van Geelen.

Right-o, the UK version of the original winker relay has part number 38300-051-730 and is was for sale at cmsnl.com http://www.cmsnl.com/products/winker-lelay-assy_38300051730/
It's a tad expensive though, sou you may want to think about a cheaper alternative as mentioned in my previous post.

( note for people who are looking for a winker for Belgium, France and Holland frames; that part number is 38300-051-305 which is the 6v8w version )

john walters

Thanks Peter for your invaluable help.
I have the brand new winker unit fitted and all indicators work.
I fully charge the battery and they are great but in no time they go very faint and hardly on at all.
I remember your line that said "Remain calm and embrace the oddities of Honda's electrical system"
So is this quite normal for the old hondas, and/or what can i do, or fit to the bike, to improve this.

Thanks again
John

Peter van Geelen.

Hi John!

Glad to hear that the indicators are working properly again! Too bad it is not for long.  :jeez:

What I have not asked you is what the condition of your battery is.

1. Is the quick discharging happening with the engine on or off?
2. Is the battery new or unknown of age?
3. Are the fluids at the right level? If not, add distilled water in the cell until the level reaches the MAX level.
4. Have you measured the charging level? Attach a multimeter to the poles of the battery and deterimine the voltage of the battery. Then, start the engine and see if the voltage increases.

john walters

Its a recent battery.
I'll check and top up with distilled water if necessary.
Thanks