• Welcome to 4-Stroke.net Honda viertakt bromfiets en motorfiets forum - Honda four-stroke moped and motorcycle forum.

Nieuws:

***** ATTENTION / ATTENTIE *****

THIS FORUM IS CLOSED AND MADE READ ONLY!
THE NEW FORUM CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://4-stroke.net/data-archive/forum-archive-2015-2017
All users have been migrated to the new forum, so go and have a look!
---------------------------
DIT FORUM IS GESLOTEN EN ER KAN ALLEEN GELEZEN WORDEN!
HET NIEUWE FORUM IS NU HIER: https://4-stroke.net/data-archive/forum-archive-2015-2017
Alle leden zijn gemigreerd naar het nieuwe forum, dus ga een kijkje nemen!

Main Menu

HONDA PS50K

Gestart door VivienS, vrijdag 07 november 2014 - 00:44

« vorige - volgende »

VivienS

Hi everyone!

I'm 25, live in France and I'm restoring a HONDA PS50 (PS50KE on the engine), 2nd version with chromed tank. Unfortunately my mechanic level is quite low (as my english level, sorry about that...) and that's for why I ask for your help.

- I need to replace the gear cables. Well okay, I take the old ones off, buy some new cables, need to file them to make them fit in the left handle... but wait, I just forgot who's who and I can't figure the position of them on the gear box. I made a picture to explain my answer.

Is 1 going to A and 2 going to B or the opposite ?

- Also, there's something bad... When I'm actionning the clutch lever (left side), It seems to work. Indeed I see the part mentionned C below going up.

Normally when I press this lever, the pedals should be 'free', I mean, I should be able to turn them without any resistance (sure of it, it worked in the past!), but it don't work now, it changes absolutely nothing.

When I start the engine, here we go, the pedals are totally 'free' instead of being rigids (? maybe wrong on that point).

I don't know what to do in order to fix it... Does someone have an idea about it ? FYI, from the outside, it looks okay, i can see the 'C' part going well up, I can do it manually... nothing change. 

I should probably open the carter in order to see what's going on inside but I prefer your advices on this first.

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it!   :)

wim

schwantz34

There is no workshop manual for the PS50 yet. i can't find it.
Have to wait on a answer from peter, he has a PS50, so he must know how it needs to be installed  :)

Kleesbees

Hi!

Nice looking PS50 you have got there. Not many around in this state.  :)

Concerning the cables they got from:
1 to b
2 to a

About the pedals, if you have started the engine they should turn freely indeed too.
More important is when you put the moped in 1 gear and operate the clutch, does the engine stall or does it stay running?
If it stalls you have to open the engine and look at the friction plates.
C50-H, CD50-H, SS50, C310, C320, P50, PC50, PF50 en PS50

Peter van Geelen

Hi and welcome!

Indeed what Kleesbees says and I actually found a workshop manual that I have not uploaded yet. The problem is that this also needs to be scanned in first! I will prioritize this and with a bit of luck, I will have it ready next week for you. Perhaps even this weekend, it depends on my crazy schedule. ;D
*) Disclaimer: Alle vermelde tips en trucs zijn voor eigen risico en dienen met gezond verstand in acht genomen te worden.
Verbruik PC50: of

VivienS

Hi!

Thank you so much for your answers!

I will install the gear cables and play with the clutch to see what happen.

I am looking for a workshop manual in vain for many years now! I've already seen the first model manual (OHV engine) and the PC50 one which is quite different, but if you found the right one and you could upload it, this would be awesome! But don't worry, it can wait a few days more :)

Okay guys, I'll let you know,
Thanks again for the support !  :D

VivienS

Hi folks !

I install the cables today, however I'll need to adjust them : the left handler doesn't want to stay on the handlebars and I can't figure out what is the mechanism to make it stay. In addition I found this operation quite complicated, maybe I did it wrong...

Also, I make the engine work. At the beggining, when I changed the gear the engine stoped. But then, I think that I shift the 3rd gear instead of the first one and tadamm : the clutch isn't stuck anymore.

Another problem come from my carburetor. I disassembled it, cleaned it, changed the joints... But when I open the fuel tap, there's a lot of fuel going to waste by the outlet. Also, the moped can stand the idle, if I don't accelerate the engine stop.
I suppose there is a problem with the float ? How can I control this?

Thanks!

Peter van Geelen

So you have the OHV engine of which I dare to say is -no- manual available. I am currently in the process of making one myself, but that will take a while., I'm sorry. The manual I am scanning for you is for a OHC model and it should help you out in most cases.

In regards to the gear changer handle, I have to rely on the knowledge of persons like Kleesbees whom have a PS50 in operation. I do have one, but it is in a restoration process and my knowledge is still limited for this model.

If your carburetor overflows, sometimes a simple tap against the carburetor with the back of a screwdriver can fix it. It does happen sometimes that the float is a little bit stuck. Another problem is something that I personally had one day. I forgot to put the float needle back in and other people have put the float needle in, but up-side-down.
So give it a few taps first, if that does not work, please check your float needle!
*) Disclaimer: Alle vermelde tips en trucs zijn voor eigen risico en dienen met gezond verstand in acht genomen te worden.
Verbruik PC50: of

VivienS

Hi Peter !
I need to have a look on my carb. I'll tell you if I can't solve this problem.

I think that yes, I've got the OHV engine model on my PS50 which is the later model.

Just to be sure, the OHC engine was on the first model ? I mean the PS50 like this one :

Anyway, would be great to see the documents you have about it!
Thanks!  ;)

wim

That's a strange PS? Is the PS sold with plastic fenders or was it a PC in it's life before this one? :-\

Gr. Wim.

J.H. Koolstra

Vivien,

The carburettor of the PS50 is not always perfectly horizontal aligned. Moreover, its almost always a bit oblique. Its float has the shape of a donut. It moves along an inner "axis", and because of the obliqueness of the carburettor this movement relies on the (absence of) friction between the two. If its inner hole is a bit rough it might not move smoothly up and down along the central "axis" of the carburettor. When it is stuck on the carburettor floor it won't close the inlet (which is true in your case). I have also experienced that it became stuck while it was on top and the inlet closed. This meant that after a few hundred meters the engine got no fuel anymore. After I had made the inner hole of the float a bit larger and smooth, the problem disappeared.

Hope this helps. Regards, JH

VivienS

Wim,

Which PS are you speaking about ?
Mine is an original PS50K (FR market model  - except for the light - in its original blue). The red one I posted looks like an authentic PS50 68' model, you can check on Google. Btw, this one is 85% similar to the PC50.

JH,

It seems we have the same one! Thank you for the information about the carb. How did you proceed to increase the float hole ?

VivienS

And btw, I just found the PS50M partlist...
I didn't find it on the website so here is the link to download the PDF : http://we.tl/iy8i1xZVGw

J.H. Koolstra

Dear Vivien,

I took just (very) fine sandpaper (I think about 600 grit), and especially took care to round up the upper and lower edges somewhat.

Regards, JH

wim

I spoke about the red one, but I googled and you're right, I thought the ps came only with iron fenders.

About your float, I had the same problem.
My topic:  http://www.4-stroke.net/forum/index.php/topic,7635.30.html

The float in my carburator was swollen because it was in the gasoline for 40 years, the inner hole of the float was because of that smaller and didn't run smooth allong the central pillar,
so I ordered a new set:

http://www.leertouwer.com/default.asp?id=21&artnr=16013-064-004&returnURL=id=59||page=1||usescope=0||ps=100||pg=||search_id=1||txtrows=1||search_word=vlotterset+pc50

Gr. Wim.